Think about how you feel before a wrestling match…
These types of feelings require you to get your pre-match meal right or you will hinder your performance, slow yourself down, and actually “reverse” the desired mental and physical hight you want to reach for your match.
First, let’s go over the rules of pre-match nutrition:
- Your pre-match meal should be about 3 hours before you wrestle This is the amount of time it takes to digest and utilize a meal. The last thing you want is to have stomach upset when you’re due to wrestle.
- Stay away from high protein foods Protein is comprised of molecular strands of amino acids. These amino acids strands are very complex in nature and require more energy to break down and digest. Because of this you should avoid proteins before matches. The increased digestive requirement causes you to feel sluggish and tired.
- Stay away from fatty foods Fatty foods are never ideal before a match either. They don’t do anything to settle your stomach and they are also a burden on your digestive system prior to wrestling.
- Avoid foods that increase your level of blood-glucose When you eat these types of foods that increase your blood-glucose (sugar) level, your body increases blood-insulin levels to maintain homeostasis. This causes your body to reduce its level of blood-glucose, resulting in low-blood sugar.
The trick is to consume foods prior to a match that don’t elevate your blood-glucose and don’t cause you to incur an insulin spike.
Some of the best foods to eat prior to a wrestling match are:
- cheese pizza (as long as it’s not too greasy)
- oatmeal (my favorite)
It’s also important to “like” the food you choose as your pre-match meal. It must satisfy your digestive system AND your taste buds or it will cause you to stress your body out and negate the purpose of eating the food in the first place.
I hope this helps you guys out.
Now, on to the foods that you should eat before you wrestle…
I’ve found that when you stick to foods